Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Turtles

The Red-Eared Slider is a semi-aquatic turtle. It can be found mostly in and around Mississippi. Semi-aquatic means that it can live on both land and in the water. This turtle has red lines on the sides of its head.

The first thing my turtle needs is a tank. I need a tank 30 – 50 gallons. In the tank, I will need a log that 5 or 10 cm long or I will need a platform for my turtle to go on or both. I think it will be better to have a platform because a log cannot provide all that on a little log and the platform can provide all that stuff. The water should at least 1.5 to 2 times my turtle’s length. I also need a heater I need to use daytime uva/uvb fluorescent bulb for approximately 12 hours of light per day to help maintain the shell structure. I need a water filter. I have to keep the water fresh daily. Maybe I don’t need a water filter. I just need to refill the tank with new water. I don’t need a water filter if I just refill the tank with warm water. The water heater must maintain between 75-85 degrees F [23.8-30 c.] like a submersible re- calibrating heater.

What my turtle is going to eat is a whole different story. Of my course, my turtle will beg for food just like cats and tuna. If I get a baby turtle, it will need more vegetables until it is older.

What my turtle will eat is fish [guppies, gold fish, and minnows], earthworms, crickets, wax worms, silk worms, aquatic snails, bloodworms, shrimp and krill. For very small turtles, prey may have to cut up into smaller pieces. I shouldn’t feed the turtle lettuce it contains not much nutrition but dark green lettuce [e.g. romaine] can be feed sparingly. I will need to fill his bowl 3 times a week.

1 comment:

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.