Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Still Jobless, Almost Homeless

Well, I still haven’t scored that perfect new job. I interviewed at the job my mom hooked me up with on the 30th but I still haven’t heard anything back from them. My mom still has her everything crossed in hopes I get a job there in the High Desert. She must be getting very cramped up with all that crossing. But things are looking up. I got an interview with a new logistics company in Victorville for next week sometime. I scored a phone interview with the University of Texas at Austin for tomorrow at 1:00. (3:00 to them) I am getting pretty desperate.

We have less than three weeks to get moved. It’s sort of a problem since we don’t exactly have a plan yet. Well, we do, but it’s kind of a wait and see plan. If I get a fabulous job in Austin, then we can afford to go to Austin. If not, we go to the High Desert. It’s closer and still relatively the same cost of living. I am applying for every job I can find in both Austin and in the High Desert. There are plenty to choose from in Austin, but I haven’t had many people with interest. Just a few temp agencies and a art gallery guy who has long since hired someone. This is my first interview with the university, but I have gotten many a no thank you letter from them. Unfortunately, the High Desert just doesn’t offer the same opportunity. But I am still swinging. I still haven’t given up hope on the one I already interviewed with.

It’s probably going to be the High Desert. (Sorry Austin rooters…) It’s closer and we just don’t have the funds to move blindly to a new area so far away. Maybe we can try that again later, with more time and money. (Or maybe I will get a fabulous job in Austin and be on my way…)

Up in the air…. I am ready to land now!

7 comments:

  1. Emma - I know unemployment is high but its still a statistic and one person looking for a job is not a statistic. There are lots of high paying jobs everywhere if you look -

    http://www.realmatch.com
    http://www.monster.com
    http://www.careerbuilder.com

    You see there are jobs. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Richard... I am already using Monster and Career Builder. I am also using craigslist, CalJobs, Snag-A-Job, and looking at specific companies. I hadn't heard about Real Match. I will try it.

    And I never pay attention to government statistics...

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the county has a class starting for CW in late july they will be hiring for that. We keep looking. Get a job so you do not feel all stressed out then look for a better job if need be. I am sure that you will get something soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so what is CW? I'm sure everyone here wants me to stop stressing out too. I think David and the girls are going to go into hiding soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. case worker.....formally EWs. clerks used to be clerks now they are OA's. I know people that change jobs all the time....you are going to find a job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Around here we have "Better Idaho Falls Jobs dot com." Perhaps you need to search for area-specific job listings such as that. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing the right thing. Tell everyone you are looking for a job. I was reading that most jobs come by word of mouth and never hit the paper or internet. So keep telling everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.