Sunday, December 09, 2007

A Holly Jolly Christmas

Today being Sunday, and we are not doing anything but watching White Christmas, I figured I get a few more of my mom’s questions answered. Trish has answered more than I have.

Have you ever actually received or given anyone a fruitcake? Have you ever eaten a fruitcake?

No, I never gave a fruitcake to anyone. However, this year I am baking a gumdrop cake for my grandpa and that is sort of like a fruitcake. I have eaten a fruitcake before. When I worked for Hickory Farms, we sold a couple of types of fruitcakes. One was a golden fruitcake and one was a dark rum fruitcake. I never tried the rum one, but the golden one was good. They were popular with the old folks in the malls and they usually sold out quickly. The golden ones always went first.

Do you dream of a White Christmas like Vermont... New England or do you dream of a more tropical Christmas like Florida or Hawaii?

When we lived in Wisconsin, I had my fill of White Christmas. We never actually had one. Every Christmas we were there, it would be cold, but no snow. Then just a week later or so, buckets of snow would come and we would be out shoveling. I am done with snow forever. I’d rather build a snowman out of sand and decorate a palm tree.

Do you have a favorite movie you watch every year? White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye or The Santa clause with Tim Allen?

I watch all of them. We have White Christmas and Holiday Inn. (The song White Christmas was first written for the movie Holiday Inn.) We watch The Santa Clause and The Santa Clause 2, Home Alone and A Christmas Story. The girls like Elf and The Grinch with Jim Carrey and 8 Crazy Nights. Then we have some cartoons we watch. We watch the Peanut’s Christmas on TV. I do not care for many of the other holiday TV specials. On DVD, we have Arthur’s Perfect Christmas and Mickey’s Christmas Carol.

Best gift as a child...a bike, a video game, roller blades?

The best gift I ever got for Christmas was when I was in the second grade. For Christmas that year, I got what every girl wanted for Christmas that year. Cabbage Patch Kids. Mine were called Liz Georgina and Stanley Cowen. I had Liz until I was 18 when she met an unfortunate beheading accident. I still have Stanley. Catherine drew on his face with a Sharpie though.

What is the strangest or funniest gift you ever got? Have you ever re-gifted?

I have never re-gifted. The funniest gift I ever remember getting was when I was 10 or 11 and my Grandma got me a matching set of bra and panties and I had to open this in front of everyone, and everyone laughed. I did not need a bra. I had no boobs. I was very mortified. Now I think it was funny. Sounds like something I would do to Carolynn…. Maybe I had better go out shopping for a new bra for Carolynn.

Christmas Wish Day 9

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace. -Jimi Hendrix

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right about the fruit cakes and older people. It is part of their old fashion Christmas traditions. I sawa movie on TV the other day with Patty Duke and her a this little boy saved up all year to make fruit cakes for everyone. It was set in the twentys or thirtys, it was a good movie, I think it was on Lifetime. My Grandma made that gum drop cake, it is a lot like a fruit cake, but you have to make sure and take the black gum drops out.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.