Monday, December 10, 2007

You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out

Yesterday Carolynn and I watched more Christmas movies. We watched White Christmas and A Christmas Story. We made pork chops for dinner. Tonight we are having Catherine’s fish. She is excited about making it. Last night she helped me with the pork chops. She is so funny.

Here are some more answers to my mom’s questions.

What will be on your menu for Christmas dinner? Turkey, ham, roast beef? Will you make a special breakfast?

We have had varying menus over the years for Christmas; Turkeys and hams when I was little; then the whole Mexican Fiesta era of tamales, enchiladas and beans; then the last couple of years chicken or ham. This year we are trying something new. We are making homemade pizzas. I plan to have plenty of snacks on hand and make muffins or cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Because of my insistence of having oranges in the stockings, that is what I usually eat Christmas morning.

What is your favorite holiday treat? What is the worst thing you have ever tried? Someone make the best cookies ever? or has someone offered you some of their famous liver pate?

I have so many of these, both good and bad.

I love Christmas cookies. My Grandma used to make snowball cookies. I can remember those. Mostly, I love iced sugar cookies. My other Grandma gave me a bunch of great cookie cutters we use every year to make our cookies.

My Aunt Christine used to make peanut butter bars that were so good.

My mom used to make this sweet potato casserole with like nuts on top. I don’t usually like sweet potatoes, but I liked that.

One year when I was a teenager, Hope, my uncle’s step-mom, made this salmon dip. Unfortunately, not many people in our family are fish lovers so the salmon dip turned out to be kind of a dud. I liked it though. Another year she brought some kind of a Jell-O shrimp dish. I did not like that either. Come to think of it, that may have been the same year.

Angela, my ex-mother-in-law, used to make some kind of stuffing that had so much junk in it, it was so gross. Then she would make these appetizers of celery filled with some kind of nasty white junk. It was not my cup of tea. She is such a good cook though. If she stayed away from “traditional” Christmas foods, and made fajitas, enchiladas, beans, rice and tamales, I would eat at her house everyday. She makes the best salsa too. I do not even like the jarred kind anymore. Luckily, she showed me how to make her salsa too.


When I was little, we used to go to Santa’s Village in Lake Arrowhead. They had a shop there that you could buy this dip mix called Pixie Dip. We used to get it every Christmas and have it on Wheat Thins. I wonder if there is somewhere I can find that dip mix. It was yummy.



Christmas Wish Day 10

Never part without loving words to think of during your absence. It may be that you will not meet again in this life. -Jean Paul Richter

3 comments:

  1. Well I just think it is cool how different families make traditional foods. They of course think thier "whatever" is the best on earth and are surprised when other people do not think so. I do recall the "pixie" dip from Santa's Village, they made great gingerbread there too. When we were in Coopertown we went to a cider mill and they had all kinds of dip mixes and salsa's made with apples and home made pies and ciders it was great. I think they have a web site I will send it to you.
    A Christmas Story is one of our favorites, Ralphie's house reminds us of your house in Kenosha. My dad says Ralphie reminds him of him when he was little. Maybe its the glasses....
    Well when you guys come for the weekend I will be making homemade spagetti and meatballs an old family recipe handed down from an old Italian Grandmother many years ago. Many people have said it is very good I will make plenty and we have glass cleaner for your glasses as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried to find you some Pixie Dip but no luck. I sent you the web site to the cider mill in New York, they have some dip mixes, but no Pixie dip. Of course now I want that dip real bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a Christmas visitor to the Santa's Villiage in the San Bernadino mountains and remember a dip from Mrs Claus's spice shop. It used a combination of two spices named "Blanc" and "Seasonables" mixed with cream cheese to make a chip and cracker type dip. I've never been able to duplicate this dip and was wondering if anyone out there has had any success.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.