Sunday, December 28, 2008

Books To Read

As some of you may have already read, Carolynn finished her 2008 TBR Challenge. She ready 15 books from her list this year, as well as a few others. I, however, failed. I read one book and I barely managed to finish it today. In all fairness, I was very stressed for most of the year and I cannot relax when I am stressed. Reading is a relaxing activity in my world. It feels good to read again. The one book I read though, was in fact, torture.

I read Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It is the longest book in the history of books. First, there are no chapters. I need chapters. I need a stopping point, especially in a book this complex. Second, it was so detailed. There were times when the author would go on for pages about someone’s clothes or a building. The story was so wonderful and romantic; I just wanted to get one with it already. It really was a great story. I am very excited to see the movie now. I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars. I loved the story, I hated reading it.

I have decided to try and take on this challenge again in 2009. I think I will do better this year. My new list contains quite a few from the old list, plus some newer ones. Carolynn is not going to do the challenge this year, but Catherine has decided to give it a go. Check out her list on her blog.

1. A Great And Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
2. Against Medical Advice by James Patterson
3. Atonement by Ian McEwan
4. Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts
5. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
6. Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris
7. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
8. Marley and Me by John Grogan
9. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
10. P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern
11. Rhett Butler’s People by Donald McCaig
12. The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards

Alternates

1. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
2. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
3. Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen
4. Then We Came To The End by Joshua Ferris
5. A Is For Alibi by Sue Grafton
6. Sunday’s At Tiffany’s by James Patterson
7. The Devil In The White City by Erik Larson
8. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
9. The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
10. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
11. The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry
12. Where Are You Now by Mary Higgins Clark

4 comments:

  1. I failed miserably at the challenge too. I don't think I'm going to give it a go for 2009 and though. I don't like failing at things and 2009 doesn't look like it's going to be any less stressful and busy than 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did way better than me. You read at least 6 of the books on your list, plus almost all the RA books, plus a bunch more just because. I read a total of two books in a whole year, not including any text books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a list of books I want to read. I just read them as I come across them. It's a totally random thing with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eve-I am hoping that by making the list and hoping to stick with it, I can actually get some reading in.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.