Sunday, March 22, 2009

Local Flavor

First, I would just like to say, only the best friends ever would drive 7 hours each way with two kids in the car just to spend one day with you.

Yesterday, Trisha and her family and I went to Savannah. It was fabulous. I could have spent days. I will be sure and post all about it soon. Maybe later.

Since I have been here in Georgia, I have been doing a lot of local eating. At the training center, they serve a lot of southern food. I have never seen so many ways to make vegetables. I have had creamed asparagus, corn, spinach, and peas. I have had fried okra, fried green beans, and fried corn fritters. I even tried the greens. I don't like greens. At least I don't like those greens. They have chicken and a lot of fish.

I have been eating at some local places too. Last weekend, after my Jekyll Island, adventure I stopped at a fast food place called Krystal. It was kind of like White Castle with the little square burgers. They had hot dogs and stuff too, like a Sonic. The little burgers were better than White Castle. Yesterday, Trisha's gang and I had breakfast at a Cracker Barrel. I had never eaten there before. I had blueberry pancakes. Today, before the left, we had breakfast at Shoney's. My roommate, Geis, went with some guys and had breakfast at a Waffle House near by. People here in the south eat a lot of grits for breakfast. I will never forget the time my mom asked a waitress in Tennessee what a grit was. She laughed and laughed. I do not like grits. At least, all the grits I have tried I didn't like. They were all breakfast grits. Here they have a specialty dish, shrimp and grits. I like shrimp and the grits are cheesy and look good. I wonder if they are. While we were in Savannah yesterday we decided to eat at a local seafood place right on the Savannah River. It was called Fiddler's Crab Shack. We all had crab legs and shrimp. (I had steamed shrimp, but Trisha and Casey had fried shrimp.) It was so good. Seafood is a big part of Savannah. While we were out exploring Savannah, we tried pecan pralines. They were so good. I got a bunch to share with my classmates here and some to take home. I got a bag just for Geis too. They were sweet and crunchy, but not too crunchy like peanut brittle.

Anyway, all this food talk is making me want some. Maybe I will get me a praline and see what Geis is doing.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great time in Savannah. Oh, that praline! How I would love to reach in that photo and sneak a bite. YUM! They have the best there in Savannah. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your day.

    I forget that Krystal is a regional thing. We us to make so many Krystal runs in college (at the time it was the only place open 24 hrs.) when studying for exams. I love their burgers better than White Castle but White Caste has better fries.
    For what it's worth, I don't like grits either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. last picture looked like a turd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to tell you that we went to Ohio and they had a Del Taco. We had to stop and have some. You guys talk about going to Del Taco and I remember them from when I went to CA. It was good.

    It sounds like you are eatting some interesting stuff. I love seafood. I think I would be eatting really good down there.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.