Friday, June 18, 2010

A Day In The Life

These Boots Were Made For Walking


When I started my job 18 months ago, I bought my very first pair of work boots. The first week I wore them, I was in so much pain. First, I had never had such a physical job before. Second, the boots were new and stiff. I got such blisters. But in a few weeks, the boots and I were working just fine. I loved them. They were comfortable and they didn’t set off the metal detector. I loved that. I didn’t have to stop and take them off when trying to get to work.

A few weeks after I started, I was issued two new pairs of work boots. They were not the same as the ones I already had. Some other officers recommended these other boots. They swore they were more comfortable and better. They were getting them too. So I took two pairs of those. I let myself be talked out of getting more pairs like the ones I already had.

I wore the new boots. I knew I would have to break them in. But they hurt so much. No blisters, but I couldn’t move my feet. They were higher on the ankle that my old boots. They had this composite safety toe thing going on that made me feel like I was kicking a wall all day. And they set off the metal detector. By the end of the day my toes were so swollen and my feet hurt so bad I could barely walk. I gave them a few more tries but the pain was unbearable. I ended up giving the pair I wore those few times to the Salvation Army. The other pair is still in the box and has never been worn. I stuck with my old ones.

Now it has been 18 months and those old boots have seen better days. They are scuffed and scratched. They are split at the seams and have holes. The soles are worn way down. But they are still so comfortable on my feet.

Sunday begins a new quarter at work and a new assignment. My old beat up boots will look really bad with my nice uniforms and my tie, which are now going to be required four days a week. I bought a new pair a while ago and took some time breaking them in. They are okay. They don’t hurt or give me blisters. They do set off the metal detector though.

I guess it is time to give my old boots the retirement they deserve. Good -bye old friends. I never thought I would make it this long and I couldn’t have done it without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.