Monday, November 08, 2010

The Jazz Singer

I have this friend. She has been a great friend to me for many years. I wonder why, since I don't think I have been a very good friend to her.

Angela and I met in high school. She was friendly and easy to talk to. She was the kind of person who really listened. But I was trying to not be friends with her. You see, I was a teenager and I was dumb. Other people I was "friends" with didn't like her. They didn't like her because she was loud (she was fun) and she was rude (she wasn't afraid to say what needed to be said). So I tried to stay away from her. But she either didn't care or just didn't notice. She was never anything but great to me.

When I graduated, she was there for me. No matter what bone head thing I wanted to do, she was there for me. When I had Carolynn she was there for me. I never knew why. I was too caught up with my own issues.

When I moved away, she would write. She would email. She cared.

When I got divorced. She was there. I don't know why. She is obviously a better person than I am.

She is a nurse now. She runs marathons. And she sings. Beautifully. She always has. We met in a choir class.

Right after I got divorced, I met her in San Diego and we had dinner. We ran in to some old friends and it was so much fun. I am pretty sure it was the first time I had been out with friends in years. It was the only time (except for Trisha's vacation) that I went out with a friend at all the whole time I lived in San Diego.

Last November, she was singing at a nightclub in Los Angeles. I was so excited to go and support her. It was to start at 7. I got off at 4. The plan was to come home and get ready and head out as soon as I could. And of course, that day, I didn't get off until after 6. By the time I got home it was nearly 7. Great.

Recently, she was having a cocktail party to debut some new songs she had recorded. This time I was sure nothing could go wrong. I bought fabulous new shoes, a new hand bag, new jewelry, and a new skirt. David got a new sweater. We were ready. Again, I was set to be off at 4, get ready and be on our way. And what happened? I got stuck with a double shift and went to work that day at 8 am and returned home at midnight. I was so mad.

Last year, on Christmas day, I went to see her at her parents house. I brought her a box of my homemade treats. She invited Carolynn and me into her home and we spent our Christmas evening (I had worked all day.) with Angela and her family. It was one of the nicest holidays I had spent in a long time. She has a fabulous family.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that despite the fact that I am probably the worst friend ever, I really appreciate Angela and I really wish I could do something to show her how much I really care. So I wrote this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.