Friday, August 19, 2011

A Day In The Life

Holier Than Thou

One day in a far off magical kingdom, or a federal prison camp for female offenders....

I was working at the camp for visiting. An older inmate was all excited because this very nice gentleman was there to visit. She was like a teenager and she was nearing 60. I thought it was just too adorable. I wondered what such a sweet old lady could have done to get herself into a situation such as that.

Later that day when I had a few minutes, I decided to find out what got her into prison. (Some kind of fraud or tax thing if I remember correctly.) Anyways, while I was reading along, I noticed her file said she was a devout Morman with strong ties in the church. It also said that she and her husband had been married over 30 years and had four sons.

How wonderful of him to still be so devoted to her despite the situation that she was in! And how sweet that she still got all giggly at the the thought of seeing him. There they were in visiting, holding hands on the table (as is the rule) and gazing into each other's eyes. She was beaming and he too seemed so happy to see her.

After visiting ended, she practically floated back to her housing unit.

I was so happy to see that marriage could endure.

The following weekend, another very nice gentleman came to visit this same inmate. I typed his name into the computer and the computer said this man was her husband of 30 years.

No way. Her husband was there last week. Wasn't he?

However, since his drivers license matched and he was approved, I said nothing and he took a seat. I then went to let the inmate in to visit. I eyed her while I searched her and noted the jewelry and such she went in with. But I didn't say anything. She went in and hugged him and kissed them and they seemed happy enough to see her. But not like the other guy.

During visit, another inmate, a younger, more naive inmate, asks me if I noticed that that sweet little old lady had a different husband last week. Yeah, I had noticed.

Curiosity got the better of me and after visit, when I got the sweet little lady alone, I asked her what was up. She burst into tears and begged me not to say anything to her husband about the other man. Apparently, he was the husband's good friend and she and him had been engaging in a secret affair for a good ten years.

Sweet old lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.