Friday, December 23, 2011

Little Drummer Boy

A Day In The Life

One fabulous morning I was working in control. It was time for the AM Census Check. There is no inmate movement during this time. Also, at this time, on that day, the power on the outside doors to the units had quit working. Only on one side of the compound. They were already working to fix it and I was helping by pushing the open and close buttons when told.

On the other side of the compound, where doors worked, an inmate was some how in the sallyport of a unit... Stuck between the inner door to the unit and the outer door, which I control. There is a door buzzer to let me know someone is waiting. He pushed it. I told him I would not let him out as there was no move at that time. Apparently, for the same reason, the unit officer would not let him in either. He was in the middle of his census check.

But that inmate would not quit. He continued to press the button. Over and over. And over.

And he got more and more belligerent. He called me every name in the book. I tried to ignore him, but because I had no choice but to sit there and help with the broken doors, I had to keep hearing the door alarm.

The lieutenant came into control to give us some information and I tell him about the button pusher in the unit sallyport. He gets on the intercom, identifies himself as the lieutenant and tells him to knock it off. The inmate starts yelling at the lieutenant because he thinks it is still me.

The lieutenant sends compound out to pick him up and take him to the officer for a little chat... And a trip to the special housing unit.

*************************


He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.