Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Family Jewels

I own some stuff that people would find valuable. I own a car that is not exactly a jalopy. This laptop is probably worth a bit. I have a hell of a DVD collection. I have a cool cell phone and some CD’s. I even have the kind of CD you keep at the bank. However, as much as I love all of those things, they are not what I would consider my valuables. Of course, my family and friends are valuable. Nevertheless, as far as tangible valuables, I have only four.

1. My Coffee Table

I got this table from my Grandma. It is said I once carved my name into it and my Grandpa had to refinish it. Anyway, it is old and it could probably use another refinish, but I love it.

2. Earrings

I got these earrings from one of my Grandpa’s sisters (not sure which). They once belonged to my Great-Grandmother (my Grandpa’s mother, on my mother’s side). They pinch a bit, but after a few moments, your earlobes go numb and it is fine. I only wear them on special occasions or for luck.

3. One Ceramic Rooster

This rooster I got from my mom. She got it from her mom. When I was little, I remember it sitting in the sunroom at my grandparent’s house when I would eat my dinner out there. When I was a teenager, I remember it in our house. Now it is in my house.

4. Mrs. Potts

My mom bought this teapot when I was a teenager. I just loved it. I loved the movie. My mom got it at the grocery store one night after work. When she brought it home, we made tea, my mom, my sister and me. It was probably just days later when my grandparents came to visit. My Grandma also loved the teapot. My mom told her to go ahead and take that one and she would just stop and get a new one again. Unfortunately, when she went back they had no more teapots. She got a cookie jar that looked like Mrs. Potts. It is nice, and she still has it, but it did not pour tea. Sunday, my mom and my Grandpa gave it to me. I love it.

These things are priceless to me and I love them.

3 comments:

  1. Mrs. Potts looks pretty happy, I am sure my mom is happy you have her. The Earrings were from my Aunt Gloria, she gave them to my mom and my mom gave them to me, because they are the kind that pinch. The earrings were a present my dad gave to his mom many many moons ago, she did not have pierced ears. she always wore fake pearls and big earrings and Evening in Paris perfume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I wear them. After your ears go numb, it's no big deal. Now that I know the story of them, that makes them more special. We love Mrs. Potts. We haven't put tea in her yet. Maybe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to bad other people dont look at those kinds of things as the ones with value. i am not sure that i have anything other than the picture of my mom and her wedding ring

    HB

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.