Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Seriously?

Today just sucked. Well, not totally, parts of it were pretty okay. However, over all the suckiness of it all out weighs the good parts.

I had a job interview today. The ad looked like this…

Seeking enthusiastic receptionist!

Conducting interviews right away for seasonal tax office.

Please email your resumes to XXXXX@whatever.com
Make sure to have contact information available!
• Location: Victorville
• Compensation: TBD


So I replied and they called me yesterday for an interview today at 11. First, it was not in Victorville, it was in Adelanto. Not that it was a big deal, I would have gone anyway. It is just a lot farther is all. I get there at a quarter to 11 and there was no one there. Therefore, I waited. About 10 after 11, a couple of guys came. They let me in and gave me an application to fill out. I filled it out. They came back and they interviewed me. Everything went fine. They were nice and the office was nice. Then, they inform me that they would like me to work there. WOO HOO! However, they do not need any receptionist. They just put that ad up to attract more people. What they really wanted were people who wanted to be tax preparers. Okay, I am not an accountant. Then they tell me it is okay because I can take a class and the class is free. Okay, I am on board. But, wait, there is more. Then they tell me the job is commission based only. I could get $20 to $50 for each tax return I file. And, here is the kicker, they want me to give them $250 for testing. The class is free but the testing and certification will be $250. This is the part were I say, heck no to that. That is not a job at all.

So I was a bit mad. I wasted gas and time to go all the way out there for no good reason. What a bunch of jerks.

Then I came home to change before I headed out to ring my bell. When I was at home, a delivery man brought a package for David. It was from his dad and in it was a very nice box of candy for me and the girls. Chocolates always make me happier.

Anyway, off I went to ring my bell. That went fine. After that, the girls and I went to my mom’s house. The girls made some ornaments for my mom’s tree. My mom got the tree out of storage but not the ornaments. She bought some silver and gold balls and some candy canes. It still looked bare. Therefore, we put up some ornaments we made and it looked much more festive.

Then we came home. We were making some dinner when I started going through the mail. In the mail was a letter from the financial company that I make payments to for my car. I am not behind in payments. I paid them for November. My payment is due on the 25th of each month, and I already gave them about $125 for this month. Last month, they offered to let me just pay the interest for one month, about $250. Since it is Christmas, I was going to do that. I already did half and planned to pay the other half on the 19th. I managed to get all of my other bills paid for this month and I went out and actually was able to get a few presents. Therefore, when I saw mail from them, I did not think much of it… Until I opened it.

It says that due to the excessive lateness of my payments I am in breach of my contract with them. In order to rectify this unfortunate situation I have the following choices:

1. I can allow them to take out the payments by automatic payment on the 19th of each month allowing time to process and have the payment post by the due date of the 25th. In the event that the payment is rejected, repossession of the vehicle will take place immediately.

2. The payment due date can be adjusted to the 15th of every month, thus allowing the financial company better assurance that they will receive payment at a reasonable time. If payment is not received by midnight, Eastern Time on the 15th of every month, repossession of the vehicle will take place immediately.

3. I can return the car as a voluntary repossession.

Okay, seriously… I have not been excessively late. Therefore, I call them and I get some guy named Aaron on the phone. I ask him hey, what the hell. He told me, very rudely, that they have the right to their money. They have a contract with me and I am breaking it. I asked him to define "excessively late". He said it was because I was late twice in a six-month period. I was late, about 8 days on July’s payment and 3 days on November’s payment. However, I paid August’s payment the same time I paid July’s. I paid September’s payment two weeks later, still in August and I paid October’s payment in September. Therefore, I tell this to good ol' Aaron. He says it does not matter, one day late is late and my contract says I will not be late. I told him this seemed a little excessive to me. He actually said if I did not like it, I could choose to do business elsewhere. WRONG THING TO SAY DUDE! I asked to speak to his supervisor. Jolene was slightly more helpful. She told me the same things, but when I asked why they were so uptight about it all of the sudden, she told me that they are having a lot of trouble with people missing payments and having late payments. She said the repo rate has almost doubled in the last few months. So starting on December 1, they are showing no leniency. I asked her if I could do like they offered last month and pay just the interest this month and she said no. I asked her if she could extend my payment due date and she said no. I asked her if there was anything I could do, she said no. I asked to speak to her supervisor. Steve, her supervisor, said there was nothing I could do either. I told him there was no way I was going to come up with another $350 in 5 days. He asked me if I would like the address to the place where I could give back my car. They are just so helpful.

I hate people. Just when I think, okay, I have this under control, some stupid thing happens. I hade a little savings and then needed an unexpectedly high cost repair on my car in August. There went the savings. Then I get a job at the pet store and think I have it, and bam, no more jobs. Then here I am all good to go, and bam, jerks.

So, does anyone need a kidney? I hear you can live with just one. Better yet, how about someone give me a job? A real job, where I do not pay you… That would be cool. Yes, a job would be awesome.

I do have one glimmer of hope. One tiny little hope I cling to. A job, a good one, which I have interviewed for and I think I have an excellent shot at. However, it does not start until January and I have not heard for sure yet. However, I hold that thought as my hope that there is a light at the end of this tunnel of crappiness.

Of course, if they repossess my car, that kills my light. They will not hire me if that happens.

So there you have it, my day of fun. On Monday, while I was ringing my bell, a woman came up to me and hugged me out of nowhere. Her husband put a bunch of money in my kettle and she said, “Bless your little heart for doing this honey. Good things will come to you.” I try to believe her. On Saturday, while I was emptying the buckets and counting, one bucket contained a fortune that read “Success and good fortune will soon come to you”. I hope so. I also found a ketchup packet, a glass bead and a token from the local fun center while counting the buckets, but I do not know that those are good omens.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Wordless Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. Oh...I would have been livid about that job interview. That ad was sneaky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was. It was all I could do to be civil. They tricked people in a market full of desperate people hoping for jobs to support their families. Made me waste my time and gas to hear their pitch about some overnight tax preparer course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that in such a desperate time people are doing nothing but trying to scam you. Maybe the "Christmas spirit" will win out in the end. Keep up hope!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.