Thursday, March 12, 2009

Georgia

I have been here in Georgia for three days now. It is quite something. Monday I just traveled. I left from my work at 4:15 AM. It was a long ride to LAX. After that, a plane ride to Dallas and a two hour layover. Then came the plane ride to Jacksonville, Florida. From there I took a bus from the airport to FLETC here in Georgia. (FLETC= Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) I am staying off the base at a Comfort Inn in the city of Brunswick. I have a roommate. She is in my class. Her name is Geis and she is from New York. She is also Dominican and she has a fabulous accent. She came with a few other guys from New York and they all have fabulous accents. They are fun people. They didn’t think they had accents though. They did think the people here in Georgia had accents. They do too.

Tuesday we began training. The first day was pretty easy. We had orientation. We were issued uniforms and gym clothes. But yesterday, we got down to business. First, we had to take our physical fitness test. If you can’t pass that, then you have to leave. There is no need for additional training. I of course passed the test, since I am still here. Unfortunately one gal in our class didn’t make it. I felt so bad. She was so close.

Today we had weapons training. I never shot a gun before, but tomorrow we start. We just had classroom stuff today.

The food here is fabulous. There is a lot of southern food. Mac and cheese, casseroles, fish, fried chicken…

I rented a car for the weekend. I think I will see the sights of Georgia. I am sure there will be pictures. The internet here isn’t super though so, I will do what I can.

7 comments:

  1. I use to live outside of Savannah. If you have a car, you should definitely get downtown and see the historic district. Even get out to Tybee Island. Jekyll Island is probably closer for you though being in Brunswick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have tree weeks here so I hope to see a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear that Savannah is a very pretty place, lots of old homes and great food and shops.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds - ummmmm - interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I don't think they are open on the weekends but if you get a chance to get in to Savannah during the week, go to Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House to eat. YUMYUM!!
    http://www.mrswilkes.com/index.html

    I use to take everyone who visited me there. I'm dying just thinking about it.
    Take a stroll down River Street and the ghost tours are really good (my fav was Ghost Walk Ghost Talk, if it's still in business).

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH...and Clary's if fun to have lunch at too. It's near Mrs. Wilkes. Don't know if you ever read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (about Savannah) but Clary's is a fixture in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I haven't been over in a long time. Work has been really busy. I'm going to read and see what you have been up to.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.