Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Saved By The Bell



When I was a teenager, I was a totally different person. We all probably were. Once I completed high school, frankly, I left it behind. I didn’t keep in touch with people, though I have a yearbook full of promises to be friends forever and keep in touch. In the 14 years since I graduated high school, I have learned a lot… about myself and about life. I have grown into a person I like. I really don’t think I liked myself in high school. Of course, at the time, I probably thought I was too cool for words. But now, at 32 instead of 18 I can look back at that time more objectively. I am proud of what I am now. I was not proud of anything I was at 18.

Of course, it didn’t matter. My parents were basically the only ones who knew me then and still know me now. Like I said, I didn’t make it a point to see people from high school. But then came technology. Recently, I have reconnected with some old high school friends. I wasn’t sure how I felt about that. What could I have in common with people I haven't seen in over a decade? What would they remember about me? Would they hold that against me? What would I remember about them? Could I remember my own growth in life and not hold stuff against them? Did I really want to travel a backward path?

Traveling on this path of life has taught me a lot. I try not to take things for granted. I do what I can to keep an upbeat attitude, despite what may happen. Many of you may remember the hard times when I was out of a job, yet I tried to remain positive. Now I keep my positive, upbeat look out as I do my job, which is not the easiest thing to do. Besides my family, I really have few friends. I work with mostly men, and though I enjoy working with them and they are nice people, I really haven’t found any I would call friends. I couldn’t really let go of a chance to reconnect with people I may have once known.

So far, it has been a treat. It was nice to catch up with some people. I got to see where other people have traveled through life, the things they have done, where they work, and who had kids. It is weird because I end up having to explain about the ex-husband, who most of them knew from high school. But overall the experience has been worth it.

This week I have been busy at work. I have today and tomorrow off. However, tomorrow I am working overtime, like last week. But, since I am working my first day at the women’s camp, I seriously doubt it will be as eventful at last Thursday. (No penis days there... I hope.) Today I am relaxing. I am making meatloaf for dinner. Tomorrow after work we are going to the concert in the park. It is going to be an 80’s tribute band. I bet they play plenty of Michael Jackson.

David is at Joe and Nicole’s giving them a hand with their computer. Catherine is playing Webkinz. Carolynn is in her room. We hardly see her. She comes out to eat. She has TV, computer, and cell phone in there.

Yesterday was my parents’ anniversary. I think they celebrated in Big Bear at a concert. Trisha’s oldest daughter turned the BIG 13. I remembered to buy her present weeks ago. Too bad I forgot to mail it. Well, I will mail it out and she will get it a little late.

That is all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.