Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Guest Post By Rammi

All the way from London, England... Today's post is bought to you by Rammi!
**********


Hello. I'm Rammi, and I shall be taking over Jennifer's blog for today... I feel the power already! I've been ranting and raving all NaBloPoMo about random things like my laziness and my inability to give proper directions, and today seems to be no different. For some reason, I decided it would be a good idea to write about mummy bloggers... As if I didn't need any more enemies. ;)

I'll admit it. It might be sort of a blogging faux-pas to do this, but I generally have an aversion to mummy/mommy bloggers. The phrase "married and babied" (or something similar) usually sends me running for the hills. Out of all the things a girl can say about herself, is her marriage and how she squeezed out a couple of kids really the most interesting thing she can say in all the years she's been on the planet? Does she not have anything else to say than "I married [blah] and my kids are [blah] and [blah]?

A person's hobbies, views on life, her relationships with her family and friends, all the things I like to read about in a blog... These seem to be lost in a sea of "Thomas just did his first poop today! I'm so proud of him!" I mean, besides being extremely TMI - for some people like to snack whilst they work at the computer, and this can be off-putting - of all the things in the world to read about, why would I care about someone's son managing to do a basic human function that everyone needs to learn eventually? I would be worried if he *didn't* poop!

["My son is severely constipated" is a better blog title than "My son finally did it in the potty!!!111!!"]

...I think you can tell by now that I don't have any children (and probably won't for quite a long time after this post). ;)

Anyway, after reading some of the blogs that fall into this category for a while, I've started to realize (albeit a bit late) that "mummy blogs" are more than documenting their child's accomplishments and milestones, which I, as a stranger on the internet, lose interest in quickly.

One blogger I follow talks about the pain of losing her first child, the impending birth of her second, and all the feelings she has on the way. She is the only blogger that manages to move me to tears with almost every post, and I admire her strength and bravery in sharing all of this to the world.

I've also looked through a lot of Jennifer's posts. When she does blog about her children, I'm struck by how good her parenting skills are; she seems to know how to handle every situation her kids throw at her.

[I'm mentally making notes for my future kids; they have many groundings and amazing birthday parties in their futures.]

When in doubt of what to do, I've found that there are always people online who have done it before, and bloggers, whatever they blog about, are always willing to share their wisdom.

These blogs also have a ready-made audience. For close friends and family, this is a quick and easy way to keep updated with how their friends/relatives are doing, what mischief they're getting up to, and what to buy them at holidays.

[Btw, my birthday's 14th December, a month from now. *cough cough hint hint*]

But what sells mummy blogs to me after all is that there is always something to blog about, whether or not the kids are being infuriating or angelic.

Coming from a girl who spent ages at 1AM – because I don't want my family to think I'm weird or anything – taking detailed pictures of her microwaves for a future blog post due to a lack of inspiration, always having something to blog about is a good thing.

Thanks for letting me borrow your blog, Jennifer! Hopefully, I haven't managed to offend too many people...

3 comments:

  1. As a mom who blogs, I totally get what you're saying and wasn't offended in the least.

    At the risk of offending people, I have my own blogging pet peeve...People who have turned their "regular" blog into a blog about reviews and giveaways. It's annoying and I don't enjoy it.

    There. I've finally said it out loud.

    Great job Rammi!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Rammi (even though I resemble that rant about mommy blogs!).
    Each of us has a journey and for the short time I have been blogging (since late 2005) it has been all about adopting. That's were we are in our life and the purpose of my blog. It will only interest my immediate family and others on the same adoption journey that may want to read our BTDT story to help with understand what they may encounter. I seem to think it may be helpful.....
    Enjoyed reading about your blog swaps, guess I missed it on NaBloPoMo (too busy writing a post for each day!).

    Alyzabeth's Mommy for One Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for switching Rammi. I agree... if all they have to say is how cute their kid is, I will get bored quickly. I don't mind mom's who blog about their kids, as long as they have other things to say too.

    And I agree with Trisha, I hate regular blogs that are just paid posts.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.