Monday, December 01, 2008

The Return Of Susan

“Is your name Jennifer?”
Yes “Nope, sorry.”
“Really? So what’s your name?”
Jennifer “Susan”
“Susan What?”
“Bowman” (Not even close)
“Hmm… you look familiar. Where did you go to high school?”
Apple Valley “Eisenhower.” (That is where my mom went.)
“What year did you graduate?”
1995 “1992”
“Oh well, you look like a girl I went to high school with.”
“Oh, well, Merry Christmas.”

Yeah, I knew him all right. He and I went to high school together. We were not really friends; he was more of a boyfriend of a friend of a friend. My junior year of high school, I walked in on him and this friend of a friend getting busy in the girls bathroom at school. Being 16, I laughed my ass off, and then proceeded to tell everyone. Yep, I was an ass. Anyway, he and the girl hunted me down later and she yelled at me. She was crying because, as she said, I ruined their first time. Right there in the girls bathroom… in the science building.

Today was my third day of bell ringing for the Salvation Army. I did it last week on Wednesday, but there was not much to say about it. There were few people and it was raining. The people that did come were running to the store or to their cars to minimize getting wet. No one stayed to chat. David did it on Friday. He gathered a lot of money, but no one chatted him up. They were too busy shopping.

Today was a better day. Besides the fabulous person from high school, plenty of old folks chatted. Everyone seems to be tightening his or her belts. One of the old folks that came by today told me he had seen on the news somewhere that the bell ringers were not allowed to ring bells. They had to replace the inside of the bells with paper clips. Another person told me that he heard that people were faking that they were really with the Salvation Army and collecting the money for themselves.

I did not get too many cranky folks today. One woman from K-Mart was rather cranky. She kept telling me I was in her way. She was trying to pull these big heavy carts and she was having trouble. Twice they got away from her and almost hit folks. I would have been in her way down the street.

The worst part about standing out there all day… Smokers. K-Mart people come out on their breaks and other people smoke out there. They stand and smoke, sometimes within feet of my kettle. I am sorry, but that is a disgusting habit. I do not care if you are a smoker reading this, it is nasty. It gives me a headache. It smells terrible. It makes it hard to breathe.

In addition, since many little kids put money in my kettle, I bought a huge bag of Dum Dum suckers to give them. They empty their tiny wallets to help the needy. I give them a tiny lolly. It is only fair.

That is all today.

7 comments:

  1. That's funny. I bet that guy left really scratching his head over that. Sounds like exactly something I would probably do.

    I agree with you on teh smoking. At my old office building, they stood right outside the entrance door so anyone coming or going had to walk right through their smoke fog. So gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i havent read this all yet because i have to run out the door in like 12 seconds to take the kids to school, but that first part about you ruining their first time cracked me up. hmmm.....isnt the first time supposed to be special??? i dont think doing it in the girls bathroom counts as special anyway. retarded people. nice to meet you susan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny. I would never be able to think on my feet that fast. The best I could come up with is Regina Falange, heheh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the girls bathroom how tacky is that.Smokers are supposed to be 25 feet from the door...that is a state law.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam- I just didn't really want to talk to him. No need to reminisce about the good old times. And yeah, the smoke is gross.

    Heather- Yeah, that is what I thought at the time. How special...

    Regina- Yeah, I thought up Susan the other day right after I saw some magazine with Brooke Shields on it. I almost gave my last name as McBain, but that was too obviously fake. I don't know where that stuff came from. I was trying so hard not to laugh.

    Mom- Well, teenagers do dumb things. And I don't think the K-Mart people give a rip about a law.

    ReplyDelete
  6. im a smoker and have enough decency to not smoke n front of a store. i need to quit dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather- That is soo nasty. You really should quit. It is really bad for you and is a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Comment. You Know You Wanna.